• +1 (416)-456-6161 | +91-991-478-0001
  • info@cictoronto.com

Overcoming Inadmissibility

Criminal inadmissibility can be revoked depending on the crime, the duration since you were convicted, and your behaviour since then. You might still be allowed to enter the country if you have been:

Deemed rehabilitated

Granted a record suspension

If you have a temporary resident permit (TRP).


You may be allowed to enter Canada if you are rehabilitated as it removes the grounds of criminal inadmissibility. Rehabilitation means that you lead a stable lifestyle and that you are unlikely to be involved in any further criminal activity. You are eligible to apply for rehabilitation if you have committed an act outside of Canada and five years have elapsed OR if have been convicted outside of Canada and five years have passed since the end of the sentence imposed. There are two types of rehabilitation:

  • Deemed Rehabilitation
  • Individual Rehabilitation
  • Deemed Rehabilitation:

    If 10 years have passed by since the crime was committed, an inadmissible individual could be deemed rehabilitated automatically due to the passing of time. Deemed rehabilitation refers to the state where enough time has passed since you were convicted for a criminal charge which allows you to enter the country. You may only be deemed rehabilitated if the crime committed outside Canada has a maximum prison term of less than 10 years if committed in Canada.

    Individual Rehabilitation:

    Individual rehabilitation refers to the state where the government of Canada believes that you will no longer commit new crimes. At least five years must have passed since the end of your criminal sentence and from the date you committed the act.

    Subscribe To Our Newsletter